Ontario beef producers work hard to ensure a safe, healthy and high quality beef product is produced for consumers.
Did you know?
- Beef production takes place in every province in Canada with a total of 12.5 million head of cattle and calves. Ontario represents seven per cent of the total cow herd located in Canada.
- There are 19,000 beef farmers in Ontario.
- There are 316,000 beef cows in Ontario.
- Cattle and calves represent¬†9 per cent of farm cash receipts in Ontario.
- Beef production contributed $25.96 billion to Canada‚Äôs economy in 2011.
- There are a lot of small cattle farms in Ontario. The average number head per beef farm as of January 1, 2012 was 66.
Canadian Beef Consumption
What Are We Eating?
44.2 lbs. (20.1kg) per person yearly.
Source: Statistics Canada, livestock stats, retail wt.
To learn more about what BFO is doing to help the beef industry visit: www.ontariobeef.com.
Source: Canada Beef Inc.